Apprentice Chef (App312)
located near, Halifax,, HX3 0RZ
- Closing Date 7th July 2021
- Sector Catering & Hospitality
- Duration 12 months
- Wage £4.30 per hour.
To assist the Catering Manager with preparation of meals and maintaining the cleanliness and hygiene of the unit to required standard (80% time)
To undertake additional job training during working hours, to access college or undertake induction/ additional learning (20% time)
Local Authority maintained special school.
Roles & Responsibilities
Responsibilities for Assets –
- Receiving, keeping, rotating and using stock correctly
- Preparing and cooking food effectively and efficiently (and minimising spoilage/waste)
- Observing Food Hygiene regulations in order to prevent contamination of food and to ensuring all food is safe to eat.
- Handling light and heavy equipment and furniture carefully so as to preserve its life.
- Ensuring that the kitchen and its contents are secure and taking appropriate steps to ensure that health and safety standards are maintained at all times.
- On occasion, accessing confidential information on behalf of the school.
- To assist in the preparation and presentation of all meals
- To ensure the regulations pertaining to the safe and hygienic operation of the kitchen and ancillary area are adhered to by all members of staff and visitors.
- To assist when required with receiving, checking and storing deliveries as requested
- To keep all work areas and surfaces as clean and tidy as is practicable at all times and especially at the end of the shift.
- To ensure the security of stores during all working hours
- To help with the cleaning down of the unit
- To report and where possible take action about compliments or complaints
- To report and where possible take action for any incidents, fire. Loss. Theft, damage, unfit food or other irregularities
- To attend meetings and training course
- To carry out any reasonable request by Catering Manager/Assistant Cook
Ability to relate well to children
Ability to work as part of a team
Good communication skills
Good time management skills
Good organisational skills
Flexible attitude to work
Work in a commercial kitchen including preparation, cooking, finishing off and presenting food from fresh state for the main and sweet courses.
Understanding of the concept of confidentiality
Experience of working with children
Must have -
Commitment to undertake in –service development as required
Commitment to safeguarding and protecting the welfare of children and young people
37 hours term time only
Essential - Ability to operate at a level of understanding and competence equivalent to NVQ Level 2 standard Desirable – Recognised Catering Qualification (L2 or above) First Aid qualification Basic Food Hygiene Certificate or equivalent.